Repairing Ethernet doesn’t have a valid IP configuration in 2020 is simpleEthernet doesn’t have a valid IP configuration stands for an error alert from Windows Network Diagnostics utility, notifying the source of no Internet issue. Yet, such a result often leads many customers to various confusions, because it is uncertain how such a problem should be repaired. Hence, we have elaborated a step-by-step tutorial on how to repair this error manually or automatically, so that you wouldn’t have to refer to a PC expert for fixing it.
“Has anyone ever had the issue: “Ethernet 2” doesn’t have a valid IP configuration. I’ve tried restring my network adapters and nothing. This same issue happened on my stream PC too”, — writes Twitter user @GoldenboyFTW.
Let’s start with the main principles so that you would come up with an understanding of what you’ll be repairing manually. In the first place, each appliance on the world wide web (www) has got an IP address, which is an identity applied for the purpose of online communications. Such addresses can be IPv4 or IPv6. The reason you’re getting Ethernet doesn’t have a valid IP configuration notifications is related to the troubles assigning your PC a valid IP address. This may cause trouble getting connected to the network or the Internet. Paraphrasing this statement, it notifies that your PC’s operating system does not get the necessary IP address from Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP), a network protocol system that makes it possible for servers to automatically assign IP addresses to PCs of certain networks.
Ethernet doesn’t have a valid IP configuration Powerline problems may occur for customers of Powerline adapters. Clients of TP-link network cards or AT&T also claim to get this specific problem often. In reality, this trouble can happen irrespective of what driver, network card or Internet provider you’re applying.
The given instructions might not be clear enough for PC users that are not experts in computers. Hence, we suggest going deep to the working solutions to repair Ethernet doesn’t have a valid IP configuration 2020 message on Windows. Each provided solution has got milestones that are provided with descriptive images in order to make it really simple for you to repair the trouble on your own. At the same time, remember that you might have to undertake several solutions to detect and fix the trouble that shows the error notification on your screen. In case you would like to bypass these manual solutions and speed up the repair process, we recommend the suggested Windows Repair utility.
Repair Ethernet Doesn’t Have a Valid IP Configuration Issue on Windows
Solution 1. Restart your Router and computerNormally, rebooting a PC and router can repair common network connection issues very well. Hence, before you start delving into the guide, we offer you to implement this main repair – it might fix the issue for you.
Shut down your PC. The next step is to go to your router and switch it off. Allow a few minutes before switching it back on. As soon as all of its lights are active again, switch on your PC and inspect whether the Internet connection is available. Normally, the Ethernet doesn’t have a valid IP configuration problem should no longer take place.
Solution 2. Resetting TCP/IP Network SettingsThe next solution to repair the identified network connection trouble is in resetting the TCP/IP parameters by means of the Command Prompt. It includes the application of Netsh, a command-line phrase that lets you examine or amend network parameters of the PC on a local or remote basis. You can locate an in-depth tutorial on how to reset TCP/IP in this guide.
To make sure that these guidelines are properly implemented, you will need to apply the Administrator’s Command Prompt. Follow the below-said milestones to do everything in a proper way and fix the Ethernet doesn’t have a valid IP configuration issue right away.
- Refer to Windows search and specify Command Prompt. Right-click the appropriate result and select Run as Administrator.
- In User Account Control window, choose Yes.
- As soon as the Administrator: Command Prompt comes up, type one command at a time and hit Enter:
netsh winsock reset
netsh int ip reset
- You will get an alert claiming that you have to reboot your PC in order to complete the reset. Disregard the alert and specify the second command, and only then reboot your PC for the amendments to become valid. The next step is to inspect whether the issue is repaired.
Solution 3. Flushing DNS CacheAnother effective solution to repair the Ethernet doesn’t have a valid IP configuration trouble is to Flush DNS cache. This solution also implies the use of the elevated Command Prompt, just like in the previous solution. Refer to the provided instructions to release DHCP configuration, flush DNS and refresh the DHCP configuration so that your network parameters would be cleaned from cached and improper data.
- Apply Windows search to locate Command Prompt. Then right-click the matching result and choose Run as Administrator.
- In UAC prompt, choose Yes.
- Specify one command at a time and hit Enter. The next step is to repeat the procedure with the below-given two commands:
- Upon completing all three commands, restart your computer. Inspect whether the issue still occurs.
Solution 4. Update or Reinstall Network Adapter DriverA network adapter driver stands for a utility which enables interconnection between your network connections and your PC. Based on the PCMag.com’s explanation, it is a program that enables the actual transfer and reception of data over the network. It also activates the data link protocol that is in charge of the brand of the network adapter available on the customer’s workstation.
Considering the above-mentioned, application of outdated or faulty network drivers can cause the Internet connection troubles and eventually, result in the Ethernet doesn’t have a valid IP configuration trouble. Hence, you need to definitely inspect your driver’s condition, or reinstall it, if necessary.
- Use the Windows key + R hotkey to start the Run prompt.
- At this point, specify devmgmt.msc and hit OK or Enter.
- Inspect the small arrow close to Network Adapters to expand the area. Right-click your driver and select Uninstall device option.
- Choose to Delete the driver software for this device. Confirm your selection by clicking Uninstall.
- Reboot your device – this immediately leads to the reinstallation of a fresh driver copy. The next step is to inspect whether this solved the trouble. In case the trouble remains, then start Device Manager once again (steps 1-2), right-click your PC name and select Scan for hardware changes.
- At this point, right-click the network adapter and select Update driver.
- In the next section, click Search automatically for updated driver software. Refer to the guidelines on your screen.
Optional: you can also download the fresh driver version from your network adapter’s developer webpage.
- Inspect whether Ethernet doesn’t have a valid IP configuration issue is fixed.
Solution 5. Amend TCP/IP Settings On Your OwnYou can attempt to modify the TCP/IP parameters on your own to repair the Ethernet doesn’t have a valid IP configuration issue, especially in times when the automatic repair set forth in the solution 3 failed to resolve the issue. Complete the below-said guidelines to do it:
- Refer to the Windows key + R hotkey to start the Run prompt. Specify ncpa.cpl and hit Enter or OK.
- Locate connection marked as Ethernet, right-click it and choose Properties.
- In Ethernet properties, scroll down the list until you locate Internet Protocol Version 4 (IPv4). Choose this or Internet Protocol Version 6 (IPv6) option (whichever you’re applying) and select Properties.
- If the parameters are set up to apply the static address, you can attempt to Obtain an IP address automatically in combination with Obtain DNS server address automatically settings. After selecting them, choose OK.
Solution 6. Deactivate Your Antivirus TemporarilyOften in times of fixing the Ethernet doesn’t have a valid IP configuration problem the customers claim that temporarily deactivating their antivirus was helpful to resolve the trouble. To deactivate your antivirus, start it and inspect its Settings. Even though the values of certain software parameters may be named in different ways, you should locate an option to deactivate the protection simply.
At the same time, keep in mind that you should never leave your PC unprotected for a long period of time. This leaves the workstation vulnerable to virus attacks, Trojans, backdoors, ransomware and other kinds of malware.
User Review( votes)