WhiskerSpy, a potent backdoor malware, spreads through compromised websites. It infiltrates systems by enticing visitors with codec installer downloads to rectify video errors.
Once installed, it executes PowerShell commands to establish remote access. Additionally, it exploits Chrome’s native messaging host for persistent deployment, enabling actions like file manipulation, code injection, and screenshot capture.
WhiskerSpy represents a backdoor malware variant that establishes unauthorized remote access to computer systems. It can actively execute shell commands, inject code into alternate processes, exfiltrate designated files, capture screenshots, and perform additional actions. So, swift removal of WhiskerSpy from compromised systems is highly recommended to mitigate potential risks.
|Damage||Stolen passwords and banking information, identity theft, the victim’s computer added to a botnet.|
|Fix Tool||See If Your System Has Been Affected by WhiskerSpy Virus|
WhiskerSpy encompasses a diverse array of backdoor commands. It empowers assailants to engage with the compromised system, manipulate files, and initiate code execution. These encompass executing remote shells, facilitating file downloads or uploads, erasing files, generating file listings, capturing screenshots, loading and running executables, and implanting shellcode into active processes.
WhiskerSpy allows cybercriminals to wield arbitrary commands on the compromised system, granting them unrestricted access to its resources. This malware variant also enables the downloading of sensitive files from the compromised system, as well as the uploading of malevolent files onto it, potentially introducing additional malware strains.
Moreover, malicious actors can exploit WhiskerSpy to purge files from the compromised system, potentially erasing their digital traces or disrupting its functionality. Additionally, the malware supports the enumeration of files residing on the compromised system. It aids in identifying potential targets for extraction or manipulation. The Backdoor can also capture screenshots of the compromised system, providing visual insights.
Ultimately, WhiskerSpy is a conduit for executing supplementary code on the compromised system. As a result, it facilitates the potential installation of extra malware or backdoors. Furthermore, it can inject code into active processes, potentially enabling threat actors to execute added commands or access sensitive data with potential ramifications.
The infiltration process of WhiskerSpy has been established with certainty. This malware is propagated through a compromised website. The attacker injecting a malevolent script into the website’s code. This script orchestrates the presentation of a notification to visitors, urging them to initiate the download of a codec installer, ostensibly to address a video codec error encountered while attempting to view content on the site.
The codec installer, fashioned as an MSI executable, harbors a series of PowerShell commands. These commands are executed upon installation, culminating in deploying the WhiskerSpy backdoor. Furthermore, the cybercriminals employ a persistence tactic that exploits the native messaging host inherent to Google Chrome. Through this avenue, they introduce a noxious extension termed “Google Chrome Helper.” The foremost role of this extension is to ensure the payload’s execution each time the browser is launched, thereby solidifying the malware’s foothold.
Remove WhiskerSpy with Gridinsoft Anti-Malware
We have also been using this software on our systems ever since, and it has always been successful in detecting viruses. It has blocked the most common Stealers as shown from our tests with the software, and we assure you that it can remove WhiskerSpy as well as other malware hiding on your computer.
To use Gridinsoft for remove malicious threats, follow the steps below:
1. Begin by downloading Gridinsoft Anti-Malware, accessible via the blue button below or directly from the official website gridinsoft.com.
2.Once the Gridinsoft setup file (setup-gridinsoft-fix.exe) is downloaded, execute it by clicking on the file.
3.Follow the installation setup wizard's instructions diligently.
4. Access the "Scan Tab" on the application's start screen and launch a comprehensive "Full Scan" to examine your entire computer. This inclusive scan encompasses the memory, startup items, the registry, services, drivers, and all files, ensuring that it detects malware hidden in all possible locations.
Be patient, as the scan duration depends on the number of files and your computer's hardware capabilities. Use this time to relax or attend to other tasks.
5. Upon completion, Anti-Malware will present a detailed report containing all the detected malicious items and threats on your PC.
6. Select all the identified items from the report and confidently click the "Clean Now" button. This action will safely remove the malicious files from your computer, transferring them to the secure quarantine zone of the anti-malware program to prevent any further harmful actions.
8. If prompted, restart your computer to finalize the full system scan procedure. This step is crucial to ensure thorough removal of any remaining threats. After the restart, Gridinsoft Anti-Malware will open and display a message confirming the completion of the scan.
Remember Gridinsoft offers a 6-day free trial. This means you can take advantage of the trial period at no cost to experience the full benefits of the software and prevent any future malware infections on your system. Embrace this opportunity to fortify your computer's security without any financial commitment.
Trojan Killer for “WhiskerSpy” removal on locked PC
In situations where it becomes impossible to download antivirus applications directly onto the infected computer due to malware blocking access to websites, an alternative solution is to utilize the Trojan Killer application.
There is a really little number of security tools that are able to be set up on the USB drives, and antiviruses that can do so in most cases require to obtain quite an expensive license. For this instance, I can recommend you to use another solution of GridinSoft - Trojan Killer Portable. It has a 14-days cost-free trial mode that offers the entire features of the paid version. This term will definitely be 100% enough to wipe malware out.
Trojan Killer is a valuable tool in your cybersecurity arsenal, helping you to effectively remove malware from infected computers. Now, we will walk you through the process of using Trojan Killer from a USB flash drive to scan and remove malware on an infected PC. Remember, always obtain permission to scan and remove malware from a computer that you do not own.
Step 1: Download & Install Trojan Killer on a Clean Computer:
1. Go to the official GridinSoft website (gridinsoft.com) and download Trojan Killer to a computer that is not infected.
2. Insert a USB flash drive into this computer.
3. Install Trojan Killer to the "removable drive" following the on-screen instructions.
4. Once the installation is complete, launch Trojan Killer.
Step 2: Update Signature Databases:
5. After launching Trojan Killer, ensure that your computer is connected to the Internet.
6. Click "Update" icon to download the latest signature databases, which will ensure the tool can detect the most recent threats.
Step 3: Scan the Infected PC:
7. Safely eject the USB flash drive from the clean computer.
8. Boot the infected computer to the Safe Mode.
9. Insert the USB flash drive.
10. Run tk.exe
11. Once the program is open, click on "Full Scan" to begin the malware scanning process.
Step 4: Remove Found Threats:
12. After the scan is complete, Trojan Killer will display a list of detected threats.
13. Click on "Cure PC!" to remove the identified malware from the infected PC.
14. Follow any additional on-screen prompts to complete the removal process.
Step 5: Restart Your Computer:
15. Once the threats are removed, click on "Restart PC" to reboot your computer.
16. Remove the USB flash drive from the infected computer.
Congratulations on effectively removing WhiskerSpy and the concealed threats from your computer! You can now have peace of mind, knowing that they won't resurface again. Thanks to Gridinsoft's capabilities and commitment to cybersecurity, your system is now protected.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Reformatting your storage device should only be considered as a last resort for removing WhiskerSpy malware. Prior to taking such drastic action, it is advisable to perform a comprehensive scan using trustworthy antivirus or anti-malware software.
Malware poses a significant risk to the security and privacy of sensitive information, potentially leading to identity theft, financial loss, and unauthorized access to personal accounts. Furthermore, it can disrupt the normal operation of a system, causing performance issues, system crashes, and data corruption.
The purpose of WhiskerSpy is to enable remote access and control of compromised devices. It allows threat actors to perform various malicious activities, such as unauthorized access, data theft, system manipulation, and disabling security measures, potentially causing significant harm to individuals and organizations.
Gridinsoft Anti-Malware has the ability to identify and eliminate most malware infections. Nevertheless, it is crucial to recognize that sophisticated malware can remain hidden deep within the system. Consequently, conducting a complete system scan is imperative to detect and eradicate malware.
How to Remove WhiskerSpy Malware
Operating System: Windows
Application Category: Malware
User Review( votes)