Burntcigar is a menacing malware often employed in ransomware attacks, particularly with the Cuba ransomware variant. It infiltrates systems through deceptive downloads, malicious email attachments, and software vulnerabilities.
Once inside, Burntcigar targets antivirus and security processes, disabling critical protections. This malware’s actions can lead to extensive data loss, financial harm, and system vulnerabilities, making it a significant cybersecurity threat.
Burntcigar is a type of malware often used in ransomware attacks, particularly in conjunction with the Cuba ransomware variant. It’s designed to identify processes related to popular antivirus and endpoint detection and response (EDR) products. Burntcigar locates these processes and records their process IDs for later termination, which is part of its strategy to disable security measures on the target system.
|Detection||Trojan.Win32.Agent.sa, Program:Win32/Wacapew.C!ml (Microsoft)|
|Similar behavior||SapphireStealer, Luca Stealer|
|Damage||Data encryption, stolen passwords and banking information, identity theft, the victim’s computer added to a botnet, and other harm.|
|Fix Tool||See If Your System Has Been Affected by Burntcigar Virus|
Burntcigar is a highly malicious strain of malware that has gained infamy in the realm of cyber threats. Cybercriminals frequently employ this malware to carry out ransomware attacks, explicitly focusing on infiltrating the systems of unsuspecting victims. Burntcigar uses a cunning modus operandi, including exploiting security vulnerabilities found in popular antivirus and endpoint detection and response (EDR) products. One of its notable tactics involves targeting processes associated with these security solutions and adding their process IDs to a termination list, ultimately disabling critical security measures on infected machines.
Furthermore, Burntcigar is known for its capability to compromise system integrity by exploiting drivers and the execution of malicious code. In some instances, it has been found to exploit the Avast anti-rootkit driver, thereby enabling unauthorized access to targeted systems. Additionally, the malware has been observed using BAT (Batch) files to install the insecure driver, providing attackers with a gateway to conduct their nefarious activities.
The potential damages inflicted by Burntcigar and similar malware are significant and can have far-reaching consequences. Firstly, victims may suffer extensive data loss, as the malware encrypts files, rendering them inaccessible without a decryption key. Secondly, there is a substantial risk of financial losses, as attackers typically demand a ransom in exchange for the decryption key, which victims may choose to pay, further incentivizing cybercriminals. Moreover, the disabling critical security measures by Burntcigar can leave systems vulnerable to other forms of malware, potentially leading to additional breaches, data theft, or system compromise.
Cybercriminals employ various tactics to infiltrate computers with Burntcigar and similar malware. One standard method is disguising Burntcigar within seemingly legitimate software or files available for download on untrustworthy or compromised websites. Another prevalent approach involves sending emails with infected attachments or links to malicious websites. Exploiting software vulnerabilities is another avenue cybercriminals use to deploy Burntcigar, with outdated or unpatched software being especially vulnerable. Additionally, malicious code may be injected into compromised websites, leading to automatic downloads and execution of Burntcigar on users’ systems without their knowledge or consent. Cybercriminals can also propagate Burntcigar through infected USB drives, external storage devices, or network shares.
Remove Burntcigar with Gridinsoft Anti-Malware
We have also been using this software on our systems ever since, and it has always been successful in detecting viruses. It has blocked the most common Stealers as shown from our tests with the software, and we assure you that it can remove Burntcigar as well as other malware hiding on your computer.
To use Gridinsoft for remove malicious threats, follow the steps below:
1. Begin by downloading Gridinsoft Anti-Malware, accessible via the blue button below or directly from the official website gridinsoft.com.
2.Once the Gridinsoft setup file (setup-gridinsoft-fix.exe) is downloaded, execute it by clicking on the file.
3.Follow the installation setup wizard's instructions diligently.
4. Access the "Scan Tab" on the application's start screen and launch a comprehensive "Full Scan" to examine your entire computer. This inclusive scan encompasses the memory, startup items, the registry, services, drivers, and all files, ensuring that it detects malware hidden in all possible locations.
Be patient, as the scan duration depends on the number of files and your computer's hardware capabilities. Use this time to relax or attend to other tasks.
5. Upon completion, Anti-Malware will present a detailed report containing all the detected malicious items and threats on your PC.
6. Select all the identified items from the report and confidently click the "Clean Now" button. This action will safely remove the malicious files from your computer, transferring them to the secure quarantine zone of the anti-malware program to prevent any further harmful actions.
8. If prompted, restart your computer to finalize the full system scan procedure. This step is crucial to ensure thorough removal of any remaining threats. After the restart, Gridinsoft Anti-Malware will open and display a message confirming the completion of the scan.
Remember Gridinsoft offers a 6-day free trial. This means you can take advantage of the trial period at no cost to experience the full benefits of the software and prevent any future malware infections on your system. Embrace this opportunity to fortify your computer's security without any financial commitment.
Trojan Killer for “Burntcigar” removal on locked PC
In situations where it becomes impossible to download antivirus applications directly onto the infected computer due to malware blocking access to websites, an alternative solution is to utilize the Trojan Killer application.
There is a really little number of security tools that are able to be set up on the USB drives, and antiviruses that can do so in most cases require to obtain quite an expensive license. For this instance, I can recommend you to use another solution of GridinSoft - Trojan Killer Portable. It has a 14-days cost-free trial mode that offers the entire features of the paid version. This term will definitely be 100% enough to wipe malware out.
Trojan Killer is a valuable tool in your cybersecurity arsenal, helping you to effectively remove malware from infected computers. Now, we will walk you through the process of using Trojan Killer from a USB flash drive to scan and remove malware on an infected PC. Remember, always obtain permission to scan and remove malware from a computer that you do not own.
Step 1: Download & Install Trojan Killer on a Clean Computer:
1. Go to the official GridinSoft website (gridinsoft.com) and download Trojan Killer to a computer that is not infected.
2. Insert a USB flash drive into this computer.
3. Install Trojan Killer to the "removable drive" following the on-screen instructions.
4. Once the installation is complete, launch Trojan Killer.
Step 2: Update Signature Databases:
5. After launching Trojan Killer, ensure that your computer is connected to the Internet.
6. Click "Update" icon to download the latest signature databases, which will ensure the tool can detect the most recent threats.
Step 3: Scan the Infected PC:
7. Safely eject the USB flash drive from the clean computer.
8. Boot the infected computer to the Safe Mode.
9. Insert the USB flash drive.
10. Run tk.exe
11. Once the program is open, click on "Full Scan" to begin the malware scanning process.
Step 4: Remove Found Threats:
12. After the scan is complete, Trojan Killer will display a list of detected threats.
13. Click on "Cure PC!" to remove the identified malware from the infected PC.
14. Follow any additional on-screen prompts to complete the removal process.
Step 5: Restart Your Computer:
15. Once the threats are removed, click on "Restart PC" to reboot your computer.
16. Remove the USB flash drive from the infected computer.
Congratulations on effectively removing Burntcigar and the concealed threats from your computer! You can now have peace of mind, knowing that they won't resurface again. Thanks to Gridinsoft's capabilities and commitment to cybersecurity, your system is now protected.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
My computer is infected with Burntcigar malware, should I format my storage device to get rid of it?
Reformatting your storage device should only be considered as a last resort for removing Burntcigar malware. Prior to taking such drastic action, it is advisable to perform a comprehensive scan using trustworthy antivirus or anti-malware software.
What are the biggest issues that malware can cause?
Malware poses a significant risk to the security and privacy of sensitive information, potentially leading to identity theft, financial loss, and unauthorized access to personal accounts. Furthermore, it can disrupt the normal operation of a system, causing performance issues, system crashes, and data corruption.
What is the purpose of Burntcigar?
The purpose of Burntcigar is to enable remote access and control of compromised devices. It allows threat actors to perform various malicious activities, such as unauthorized access, data theft, system manipulation, and disabling security measures, potentially causing significant harm to individuals and organizations.
Will Gridinsoft Anti-Malware protect me from malware?
Gridinsoft Anti-Malware has the ability to identify and eliminate most malware infections. Nevertheless, it is crucial to recognize that sophisticated malware can remain hidden deep within the system. Consequently, conducting a complete system scan is imperative to detect and eradicate malware.
How to Protect Your Computer from Burntcigar
As cyber threats continue to evolve, ensuring the security of our computers has become more critical than ever. Malware, short for malicious software, poses a significant risk to our data, privacy, and overall online experience. Follow these simple guidelines to protect your computer:
- Install a Reliable Anti-Malware Solution: Having a robust anti-malware software is your first line of defense against cyber threats. Gridinsoft Anti-Malware is an industry-leading solution that offers real-time protection, thorough system scans, and automatic malware removal. Its constantly updated database ensures it can detect even the newest and most sophisticated threats.
- Keep Your Operating System and Software Updated: Regularly updating your operating system and software is crucial. Updates often include security patches that address vulnerabilities that cybercriminals may exploit. Enable automatic updates to ensure you stay protected.
- Exercise Caution with Email Attachments and Links: Malicious emails often contain infected attachments or links that lead to malware-infested websites. Avoid opening suspicious emails or clicking on unknown links. Be especially wary of emails that urge you to take immediate action or provide sensitive information.
- Use Strong Passwords and Enable Two-Factor Authentication: Strong, unique passwords are essential for protecting your online accounts. Enable two-factor authentication (2FA) whenever possible to add an extra layer of security.
- Avoid Sketchy Websites and Downloads: Stick to reputable websites for your downloads and avoid visiting suspicious or untrustworthy sites. Be cautious with free software downloads from unknown sources.
- Secure Your Network with a Firewall: A firewall acts as a barrier between your computer and the internet, monitoring and blocking unauthorized access. Ensure your firewall is active and properly configured.
Why Choose Gridinsoft Anti-Malware?
Gridinsoft Anti-Malware is a powerful and user-friendly solution designed to keep your computer safe from malware threats like a Burntcigar. Here are some of the key features that make it an excellent choice:
- Comprehensive Malware Detection: Gridinsoft Anti-Malware uses advanced algorithms to detect and remove various types of malware, including the most evasive ones.
- Real-Time Protection: The software provides real-time protection, proactively blocking threats before they can harm your system.
- Regular Updates: Gridinsoft Anti-Malware's database is regularly updated to keep up with the latest malware trends and ensure maximum protection.
- User-Friendly Interface: The software is easy to use, making it suitable for both novice and experienced users.
- 24/7 Customer Support: Gridinsoft offers dedicated customer support to assist with any issues or questions you may have.
Securing your computer from malware is essential in today's digital landscape. By following best practices, such as installing a reliable anti-malware solution like Gridinsoft Anti-Malware, keeping your system up to date, and exercising caution online, you can significantly reduce the risk of falling victim to cyber threats. With Gridinsoft Anti-Malware's robust protection and user-friendly interface, you can enjoy peace of mind knowing your computer is safe and secure. Stay vigilant, stay protected!
Gridinsoft Anti-Malware is a powerful and reliable anti-malware software that provides comprehensive protection against all types of cyber threats. Don't wait for Burntcigar to strike—take proactive steps to safeguard your computer today!
How to Remove Burntcigar Malware
Description: Burntcigar is a menacing malware often employed in ransomware attacks, particularly with the Cuba ransomware variant. It infiltrates systems through deceptive downloads, malicious email attachments, and software vulnerabilities. Once inside, Burntcigar targets antivirus and security processes, disabling critical protections. This malware's actions can lead to extensive data loss, financial harm, and system vulnerabilities, making it a significant cybersecurity threat.
Operating System: Windows
Application Category: Malware
User Review( votes)