Rage Stealer is an infostealer malware, notorious for its stealthy infiltration methods. It excels in exfiltrating sensitive data, notably login credentials, and can pilfer from over ten types of cryptocurrency wallets.
Its capability to spread via local networks and removable devices further amplifies its danger, making it a formidable tool for cybercriminals seeking financial gain and data theft. Let me explain the malware functionality in details, and also show the way to remove it from the system.
Rage Malware Overview
Rage infostealer, also recognized under the names RageStealer and xStealer, is a malicious program that aims at exfiltrating various categories of data from the infected device. Initially known as Priv8, it underwent rebranding and emerged as Rage in the summer of 2023. The primary function of this malicious software is to pilfer data, focusing on login credentials such as usernames and passwords.
|Trojan, stealer, password-stealing virus.
|Exploits your hardware to mine cryptocurrencies without your permission.
|S1deload Stealer, NightClub
|See If Your System Has Been Affected by Rage Virus
Once Rage Stealer successfully breaches a system, it sets up a connection to its Command and Control (C&C) via Telegram. The malware then proceeds to collect vital data from the device. It includes CPU, RAM, GPU specifications, OS (Operating System) version, screen resolution, and geolocation. Rage also scrutinizes active processes and scans for specific applications to exploit. Its main target is sensitive information, focusing strongly on login credentials.
This stealer can hijack information from more than a dozen cryptocurrency wallets. It can also siphon off internet cookies and save passwords from Chrome-based internet browsers. Beyond login details and cookies, Rage seeks to capture tokens, session data, profiles, and other critical information. Rage’s targets include messaging apps, VPNs (Virtual Private Networks), FTP (File Transfer Protocol) clients, and gaming software, among others (see the complete list below). The malware is even equipped to take screenshots.
It’s important to note that the developers of Rage are continuously updating the malware, potentially expanding its list of targets or enhancing its functionalities in future versions. But even now, the infiltration of devices by malware like Rage can result in system compromises, significant privacy breaches, financial damages, and risks of identity theft.
Cybercriminals often deploy phishing and social engineering tactics to spread malware like Rage. Common strategies include deceptive downloads without the user’s knowledge, harmful attachments or links in unsolicited emails, private or direct messages, and text messages, as well as malvertising and online fraud. Unreliable sources for downloading content, such as sites offering freeware, file-hosting services, peer-to-peer sharing networks, and illegal software ‘cracks’ and counterfeit updates, are also frequent culprits.
How To Remove Malware?
While it’s possible to remove malware manually, I advise against it. In its quest for permanence, malware duplicates itself, complicating tracking all its components. Hence, manual removal can be time-consuming and often inefficient.
The most reliable method to cleanse your device of malware is through anti-malware software. GridinSoft Anti-Malware comes highly recommended for its efficiency, speed, and lightweight nature, making it adept at neutralizing threats like Rage. Consider taking advantage of its 6-day free trial. For optimal removal of Rage, refer to the comprehensive guide I’ve prepared below.
Remove Rage with Gridinsoft Anti-Malware
We have also been using this software on our systems ever since, and it has always been successful in detecting viruses. It has blocked the most common stealers as shown from our tests with the software, and we assure you that it can remove Rage as well as other malware hiding on your computer.
To use Gridinsoft for remove malicious threats, follow the steps below:
1. Begin by downloading Gridinsoft Anti-Malware, accessible via the blue button below or directly from the official website gridinsoft.com.
2.Once the Gridinsoft setup file (setup-gridinsoft-fix.exe) is downloaded, execute it by clicking on the file.
3.Follow the installation setup wizard's instructions diligently.
4. Access the "Scan Tab" on the application's start screen and launch a comprehensive "Full Scan" to examine your entire computer. This inclusive scan encompasses the memory, startup items, the registry, services, drivers, and all files, ensuring that it detects malware hidden in all possible locations.
Be patient, as the scan duration depends on the number of files and your computer's hardware capabilities. Use this time to relax or attend to other tasks.
5. Upon completion, Anti-Malware will present a detailed report containing all the detected malicious items and threats on your PC.
6. Select all the identified items from the report and confidently click the "Clean Now" button. This action will safely remove the malicious files from your computer, transferring them to the secure quarantine zone of the anti-malware program to prevent any further harmful actions.
8. If prompted, restart your computer to finalize the full system scan procedure. This step is crucial to ensure thorough removal of any remaining threats. After the restart, Gridinsoft Anti-Malware will open and display a message confirming the completion of the scan.
Remember Gridinsoft offers a 6-day free trial. This means you can take advantage of the trial period at no cost to experience the full benefits of the software and prevent any future malware infections on your system. Embrace this opportunity to fortify your computer's security without any financial commitment.
Trojan Killer for “Rage” removal on locked PC
In situations where it becomes impossible to download antivirus applications directly onto the infected computer due to malware blocking access to websites, an alternative solution is to utilize the Trojan Killer application.
There is a really little number of security tools that are able to be set up on the USB drives, and antiviruses that can do so in most cases require to obtain quite an expensive license. For this instance, I can recommend you to use another solution of GridinSoft - Trojan Killer Portable. It has a 14-days cost-free trial mode that offers the entire features of the paid version. This term will definitely be 100% enough to wipe malware out.
Trojan Killer is a valuable tool in your cybersecurity arsenal, helping you to effectively remove malware from infected computers. Now, we will walk you through the process of using Trojan Killer from a USB flash drive to scan and remove malware on an infected PC. Remember, always obtain permission to scan and remove malware from a computer that you do not own.
Step 1: Download & Install Trojan Killer on a Clean Computer:
1. Go to the official GridinSoft website (gridinsoft.com) and download Trojan Killer to a computer that is not infected.
2. Insert a USB flash drive into this computer.
3. Install Trojan Killer to the "removable drive" following the on-screen instructions.
4. Once the installation is complete, launch Trojan Killer.
Step 2: Update Signature Databases:
5. After launching Trojan Killer, ensure that your computer is connected to the Internet.
6. Click "Update" icon to download the latest signature databases, which will ensure the tool can detect the most recent threats.
Step 3: Scan the Infected PC:
7. Safely eject the USB flash drive from the clean computer.
8. Boot the infected computer to the Safe Mode.
9. Insert the USB flash drive.
10. Run tk.exe
11. Once the program is open, click on "Full Scan" to begin the malware scanning process.
Step 4: Remove Found Threats:
12. After the scan is complete, Trojan Killer will display a list of detected threats.
13. Click on "Cure PC!" to remove the identified malware from the infected PC.
14. Follow any additional on-screen prompts to complete the removal process.
Step 5: Restart Your Computer:
15. Once the threats are removed, click on "Restart PC" to reboot your computer.
16. Remove the USB flash drive from the infected computer.
Congratulations on effectively removing Rage and the concealed threats from your computer! You can now have peace of mind, knowing that they won't resurface again. Thanks to Gridinsoft's capabilities and commitment to cybersecurity, your system is now protected.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Reformatting your storage device should only be considered as a last resort for removing Rage malware. Prior to taking such drastic action, it is advisable to perform a comprehensive scan using trustworthy antivirus or anti-malware software.
Malware poses a significant risk to the security and privacy of sensitive information, potentially leading to identity theft, financial loss, and unauthorized access to personal accounts. Furthermore, it can disrupt the normal operation of a system, causing performance issues, system crashes, and data corruption.
The purpose of Rage is to enable remote access and control of compromised devices. It allows threat actors to perform various malicious activities, such as unauthorized access, data theft, system manipulation, and disabling security measures, potentially causing significant harm to individuals and organizations.
Gridinsoft Anti-Malware has the ability to identify and eliminate most malware infections. Nevertheless, it is crucial to recognize that sophisticated malware can remain hidden deep within the system. Consequently, conducting a complete system scan is imperative to detect and eradicate malware.
User Review( votes)