The Kmrox virus falls under the Phobos ransomware family. Malware of such sort encrypts all user’s data on the computer (photos, documents, excel tables, audio files, videos, etc) and adds its own extension to every file, creating the info.txt text files in each directory which contains the encrypted files.
Kmrox virus: what is known so far?
☝️ Kmrox is a Phobos family ransomware malicious agent.
The renaming will be done by this scheme: id[xxxxxx].[contact-email].kmrox. During the encryption, a file named, for instance, “report.docx” will be changed to “report.docx.id[9ECFA84E-3489].[[email protected]].kmrox”.
In each folder that contains the encrypted files, a info.txt text document will be created. It is a ransom money note. It contains information about the ways of paying the ransom and some other information. The ransom note usually contains instructions on how to purchase the decryption tool from the tamperers. You can get this decrypting software after contacting [email protected] through email. That is basically the scheme of the felony.
|Ransomware family1||Phobos ransomware|
|Detection||Win32/Filecoder.Conti.L Virus Removal, Win32:PWSX-gen [Trj] Virus Removal, PWS:Win32/Fareit!MTB Virus Removal|
|Symptoms||Your files (photos, videos, documents) get a .kmrox extension and you can’t open them.|
|Fix Tool||See If Your System Has Been Affected by Kmrox virus|
The info.txt file coming in package with the Kmrox ransomware states the following:
All your files have been encrypted! At the moment there is no way to decrypt the data, except to request from us a decryptor and a key with which you will recover all your data. If you want to restore them, write to us by email: [email protected] Write this ID in the title of your message - For quick and convenient feedback, write to the online operator in the Telegram messenger: @exezaz (Be careful when entering the Telegram account name, it must be exactly the same as above, beware of fake accounts.) Also, from some mail services, your letter may not reach or get into spam, so to increase the likelihood of receiving a quick response, also duplicate your letters to our spare email addresses: [email protected] and [email protected] Payment for decryption is made in bitcoins. In order to find out the price, write to the above contacts. The sooner you contact us, the lower the price will be. After payment, we will send you a tool that will decrypt all your files. Free decryption as guarantee Before paying you can send us up to 3 files for free decryption. The total size of files must be less than 4Mb (non archived), and files should not contain valuable information. (databases,backups, large excel sheets, etc.) How to obtain Bitcoins You can buy Bitcoin in any place convenient for you, a beginner\'s guide is here: hxxp://www.coindesk.com/information/how-can-i-buy-bitcoins/ Attention! To get guaranteed help in decrypting your files, please contact only the contacts listed in this note, because at the moment there are many scammers who, under the pretext that they can decrypt your data, request a free decryption through us and pass it off as a demonstration that they can decrypt your files. Remember that the key for decrypting files is individual in each individual case, so you will not be able to decrypt your files yourself using third-party software, it will only spoil your files. If you want to communicate through an intermediary, then check the price with our operator in advance, since intermediaries often wind up the real price. !!! When contacting third parties, we do not guarantee the decryption of your files!!! Also, to avoid problems with decryption, do not rename your files.
In the picture below, you can see what a directory with files encrypted by the Kmrox looks like. Each filename has the “.kmrox” extension added to it.
How did my machine catch Kmrox ransomware?
There are many possible ways of ransomware infiltration.
Nowadays, there are three most popular methods for criminals to have the Kmrox virus settled in your digital environment. These are email spam, Trojan injection and peer-to-peer file transfer.
- If you access your mailbox and see letters that look just like notifications from utility services companies, delivery agencies like FedEx, web-access providers, and whatnot, but whose “from” field is unknown to you, beware of opening those emails. They are most likely to have a malicious file enclosed in them. So it is even riskier to download any attachments that come with emails like these.
- Another thing the hackers might try is a Trojan horse model. A Trojan is an object that infiltrates into your PC disguised as something else. For instance, you download an installer of some program you need or an update for some program. But what is unpacked turns out to be a harmful program that corrupts your data. As the update wizard can have any name and any icon, you’d better be sure that you can trust the source of the stuff you’re downloading. The best way is to trust the software companies’ official websites.
- As for the peer-to-peer file transfer protocols like BitTorrent or eMule, the threat is that they are even more trust-based than the rest of the Internet. You can never guess what you download until you get it. So you’d better be using trustworthy resources. Also, it is a good idea to scan the directory containing the downloaded files with the antivirus as soon as the downloading is finished.
How do I get rid of ransomware?
It is important to note that besides encrypting your data, the Kmrox virus will most likely install Vidar Stealer on your PC to seize your credentials to different accounts (including cryptocurrency wallets). That program can extract your credentials from your browser’s auto-filling data.
Remove Kmrox with Gridinsoft Anti-Malware
We have also been using this software on our systems ever since, and it has always been successful in detecting viruses. It has blocked the most common Ransomware as shown from our tests with the software, and we assure you that it can remove Kmrox as well as other malware hiding on your computer.
To use Gridinsoft for remove malicious threats, follow the steps below:
1. Begin by downloading Gridinsoft Anti-Malware, accessible via the blue button below or directly from the official website gridinsoft.com.
2.Once the Gridinsoft setup file (setup-gridinsoft-fix.exe) is downloaded, execute it by clicking on the file.
3.Follow the installation setup wizard's instructions diligently.
4. Access the "Scan Tab" on the application's start screen and launch a comprehensive "Full Scan" to examine your entire computer. This inclusive scan encompasses the memory, startup items, the registry, services, drivers, and all files, ensuring that it detects malware hidden in all possible locations.
Be patient, as the scan duration depends on the number of files and your computer's hardware capabilities. Use this time to relax or attend to other tasks.
5. Upon completion, Anti-Malware will present a detailed report containing all the detected malicious items and threats on your PC.
6. Select all the identified items from the report and confidently click the "Clean Now" button. This action will safely remove the malicious files from your computer, transferring them to the secure quarantine zone of the anti-malware program to prevent any further harmful actions.
8. If prompted, restart your computer to finalize the full system scan procedure. This step is crucial to ensure thorough removal of any remaining threats. After the restart, Gridinsoft Anti-Malware will open and display a message confirming the completion of the scan.
Remember Gridinsoft offers a 6-day free trial. This means you can take advantage of the trial period at no cost to experience the full benefits of the software and prevent any future malware infections on your system. Embrace this opportunity to fortify your computer's security without any financial commitment.
Trojan Killer for “Kmrox” removal on locked PC
In situations where it becomes impossible to download antivirus applications directly onto the infected computer due to malware blocking access to websites, an alternative solution is to utilize the Trojan Killer application.
There is a really little number of security tools that are able to be set up on the USB drives, and antiviruses that can do so in most cases require to obtain quite an expensive license. For this instance, I can recommend you to use another solution of GridinSoft - Trojan Killer Portable. It has a 14-days cost-free trial mode that offers the entire features of the paid version. This term will definitely be 100% enough to wipe malware out.
Trojan Killer is a valuable tool in your cybersecurity arsenal, helping you to effectively remove malware from infected computers. Now, we will walk you through the process of using Trojan Killer from a USB flash drive to scan and remove malware on an infected PC. Remember, always obtain permission to scan and remove malware from a computer that you do not own.
Step 1: Download & Install Trojan Killer on a Clean Computer:
1. Go to the official GridinSoft website (gridinsoft.com) and download Trojan Killer to a computer that is not infected.
2. Insert a USB flash drive into this computer.
3. Install Trojan Killer to the "removable drive" following the on-screen instructions.
4. Once the installation is complete, launch Trojan Killer.
Step 2: Update Signature Databases:
5. After launching Trojan Killer, ensure that your computer is connected to the Internet.
6. Click "Update" icon to download the latest signature databases, which will ensure the tool can detect the most recent threats.
Step 3: Scan the Infected PC:
7. Safely eject the USB flash drive from the clean computer.
8. Boot the infected computer to the Safe Mode.
9. Insert the USB flash drive.
10. Run tk.exe
11. Once the program is open, click on "Full Scan" to begin the malware scanning process.
Step 4: Remove Found Threats:
12. After the scan is complete, Trojan Killer will display a list of detected threats.
13. Click on "Cure PC!" to remove the identified malware from the infected PC.
14. Follow any additional on-screen prompts to complete the removal process.
Step 5: Restart Your Computer:
15. Once the threats are removed, click on "Restart PC" to reboot your computer.
16. Remove the USB flash drive from the infected computer.
Congratulations on effectively removing Kmrox and the concealed threats from your computer! You can now have peace of mind, knowing that they won't resurface again. Thanks to Gridinsoft's capabilities and commitment to cybersecurity, your system is now protected.
Often tamperers would decrypt several of your files so you know that they do have the decryption program. As Kmrox virus is a relatively recent ransomware, anti-malware developers have not yet found a way to reverse its work. However, the decryption instruments are frequently updated, so the effective countermeasure may soon arrive.
Understandably, if the evildoers succeed in encrypting victim’s critical files, the hopeless person will most likely comply with their demands. Despite that, paying a ransom does not necessarily mean that you’re getting your files back. It is still dangerous. After obtaining the ransom, the racketeers may send a wrong decryption key to the injured party. There were reports of criminals just disappearing after getting the ransom without even bothering to reply.
The optimal solution against ransomware is to have aan OS restore point or the copies of your essential files in the cloud storage or at least on an external storage. Of course, that might be insufficient. The most crucial thing could be that file you were working upon when it all started. Nevertheless, it is something. It is also reasonable to scan your PC for viruses with the anti-malware utility after the system is rolled back.
Kmrox is not the only ransomware of its kind, since there are other specimens of ransomware out there that act in the same manner. For instance, Wzer, Top, Freeworld, and some others. The two main differences between them and the Kmrox are the ransom amount and the method of encryption. The rest is the same: documents become encrypted, their extensions changed, ransom notes appear in every folder containing encoded files.
Some lucky users were able to decode the blocked files with the help of the free tools provided by anti-ransomware specialists. Sometimes the criminals mistakenly send the decryption code to the wronged in the ransom note. Such an epic fail allows the user to restore the files. But of course, one should never rely on such a chance. Make no mistake, ransomware is a bandits’ instrument to pull the money out of their victims.
How do I avoid ransomware infection?
Kmrox ransomware has no endless power, neither does any similar malware.
You can protect your system from its attack within three easy steps:
- Ignore any letters from unknown senders with unknown addresses, or with content that has likely no connection to something you are waiting for (can you win in a money prize draw without participating in it?). In case the email subject is likely something you are expecting, check all elements of the questionable letter with caution. A fake letter will always contain mistakes.
- Do not use cracked or unknown software. Trojan viruses are often spreaded as an element of cracked products, most likely under the guise of “patch” which prevents the license check. Understandably, potentially dangerous programs are difficult to distinguish from trustworthy software, because trojans sometimes have the functionality you seek. You can try searching for information about this software product on the anti-malware message boards, but the optimal solution is not to use such software.
- And to be sure about the safety of the objects you downloaded, scan them with GridinSoft Anti-Malware. This program will be a perfect defense for your system.
🤔 Is it possible to open “.kmrox” files?
There’s no way to do it, unless the files “.kmrox” files are decrypted.
🤔 I really need to decrypt those “.kmrox” files ASAP. How can I do that?
It’s good if you have fаr-sightedly saved copies of these important files elsewhere. In case you haven’t, there is still a chance that you do have a Restore Point from some time ago to roll back the whole system to the moment when it had no virus yet, but already had your files. All other solutions require time.
🤔 If GridinSoft deletes the Kmrox malware, will it also delete my files that were encrypted?
Absolutely not! Your encrypted files are no threat to your PC.
With the help of GridinSoft Anti-Malware, you can clean your system off the actual viruses. The virus that has infected your PC is must be still active and launching checks periodically to arrest any new files you might create on your computer after the attack. As it has been mentioned above, the Kmrox ransomware does not come alone. It installs backdoors and keyloggers that can steal your account credentials and provide malefactors with easy access to your computer in the future.
🤔 What to do if the Kmrox virus has blocked my PC and I can’t get the activation code.
In such a case, you need to have a flash memory drive with a previously installed Trojan Killer. Use Safe Mode to do the cleaning. You see, the ransomware runs automatically as the system launches and encodes any new files created or imported into your system. To suppress this function – use Safe Mode, which allows only the essential applications to run automatically. Consider reading our manual on running Windows in Safe Mode.
🤔 What could help the situation right now?
Some of the encrypted data can be found elsewhere.
- If you exchanged your critical files via email, you could still download them from your online mailbox.
- You might have shared photographs or videos with your friends or relatives. Just ask them to send those pictures back to you.
- If you have initially downloaded any of your files from the Internet, you can try doing it again.
- Your messengers, social networks pages, and cloud disks might have all those files too.
- It might be that you still have the needed files on your old PC, a portable device, phone, external storage, etc.
USEFUL TIP: You can use file recovery utilities2 to retrieve your lost information since ransomware encrypts the copies of your files, removing the authentic ones. In the video below, you can learn how to recover your files with PhotoRec, but be advised: you can do it only after you remove the virus with an antivirus program.
I need your help to share this article.
It is your turn to help other people. I have written this guide to help people like you. You can use the buttons below to share this on your favorite social media Facebook, Twitter, or Reddit.Brendan Smith
How to Remove KMROX Ransomware & Recover PC
Name: KMROX Virus
Description: KMROX Virus is a ransomware-type infections. This virus encrypts important personal files (video, photos, documents). The encrypted files can be tracked by a specific .kmrox extension. So, you can't use them at all.
Operating System: Windows
Application Category: Virus
User Review( votes)