What is Win32/Kovter.C infection?
In this short article you will certainly discover concerning the meaning of Win32/Kovter.C and its unfavorable effect on your computer system. Such ransomware are a form of malware that is elaborated by on the internet scams to require paying the ransom by a sufferer.
It is better to prevent, than repair and repent!
Subscribe to our Telegram channel to be the first to know about news and our exclusive materials on information security.
In the majority of the cases, Win32/Kovter.C virus will advise its sufferers to start funds move for the function of counteracting the amendments that the Trojan infection has introduced to the victim’s device.
These alterations can be as complies with:
- Injection (inter-process);
- Injection (Process Hollowing);
- Executable code extraction. Cybercriminals often use binary packers to hinder the malicious code from reverse-engineered by malware analysts. A packer is a tool that compresses, encrypts, and modifies a malicious file’s format. Sometimes packers can be used for legitimate ends, for example, to protect a program against cracking or copying.
- Creates RWX memory. There is a security trick with memory regions that allows an attacker to fill a buffer with a shellcode and then execute it. Filling a buffer with shellcode isn’t a big deal, it’s just data. The problem arises when the attacker is able to control the instruction pointer (EIP), usually by corrupting a function’s stack frame using a stack-based buffer overflow, and then changing the flow of execution by assigning this pointer to the address of the shellcode.
- Mimics the system’s user agent string for its own requests;
- Reads data out of its own binary image. The trick that allows the malware to read data out of your computer’s memory.
Everything you run, type, or click on your computer goes through the memory. This includes passwords, bank account numbers, emails, and other confidential information. With this vulnerability, there is the potential for a malicious program to read that data.
- The binary likely contains encrypted or compressed data. In this case, encryption is a way of hiding virus’ code from antiviruses and virus’ analysts.
- Detects VirtualBox through the presence of a library;
- Detects Sandboxie through the presence of a library;
- Detects SunBelt Sandbox through the presence of a library;
- Executed a process and injected code into it, probably while unpacking;
- A process attempted to delay the analysis task by a long amount of time.;
- Creates or sets a registry key to a long series of bytes, possibly to store a binary or malware config;
- Creates a registry key or value with NUL characters to avoid detection with regedit;
- Installs itself for autorun at Windows startup. There is simple tactic using the Windows startup folder located at:
C:\Users\[user-name]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\StartMenu\Programs\Startup. Shortcut links (.lnk extension) placed in this folder will cause Windows to launch the application each time [user-name] logs into Windows.
The registry run keys perform the same action, and can be located in different locations:
- Attempts to identify installed analysis tools by registry key;
- Attempts to identify installed AV products by installation directory;
- Checks the version of Bios, possibly for anti-virtualization;
- Checks the presence of disk drives in the registry, possibly for anti-virtualization;
- Detects VirtualBox through the presence of a file;
- Detects VirtualBox through the presence of a registry key;
- Detects VMware through the presence of a file;
- Detects VMware through the presence of a registry key;
- Detects Virtual PC through the presence of a file;
- Attempts to modify proxy settings. This trick used for inject malware into connection between browser and server;
- Attempts to modify browser security settings;
- Collects information to fingerprint the system. There are behavioral human characteristics that can be used to digitally identify a person to grant access to systems, devices, or data. Unlike passwords and verification codes, fingerprints are fundamental parts of user’s identities. Among the threats blocked on biometric data processing and storage systems is spyware, the malware used in phishing attacks (mostly spyware downloaders and droppers), ransomware, and Banking Trojans as posing the greatest danger.
- Anomalous binary characteristics. This is a way of hiding virus’ code from antiviruses and virus’ analysts.
- Ciphering the documents found on the sufferer’s hard drive — so the victim can no longer utilize the information;
- Preventing routine accessibility to the sufferer’s workstation. This is the typical behavior of a virus called locker. It blocks access to the computer until the victim pays the ransom.
One of the most common networks through which Win32/Kovter.C Ransomware are infused are:
- By means of phishing emails;
- As a repercussion of customer ending up on a resource that organizes a destructive software;
As soon as the Trojan is effectively infused, it will either cipher the data on the victim’s PC or stop the gadget from operating in a correct fashion – while also putting a ransom note that points out the requirement for the victims to impact the repayment for the objective of decrypting the documents or bring back the documents system back to the initial problem. In a lot of instances, the ransom note will show up when the customer restarts the COMPUTER after the system has actually already been damaged.
Win32/Kovter.C distribution channels.
In various corners of the globe, Win32/Kovter.C expands by jumps and also bounds. Nevertheless, the ransom notes and methods of obtaining the ransom quantity may differ depending on specific local (local) setups. The ransom money notes as well as techniques of extorting the ransom amount may differ depending on particular regional (local) setups.
Faulty signals concerning unlicensed software application.
In particular locations, the Trojans typically wrongfully report having discovered some unlicensed applications made it possible for on the sufferer’s gadget. The sharp after that requires the customer to pay the ransom.
Faulty statements regarding unlawful content.
In nations where software application piracy is less prominent, this approach is not as efficient for the cyber scams. Alternatively, the Win32/Kovter.C popup alert might wrongly declare to be originating from a police organization and will report having situated child porn or various other prohibited data on the device.
Win32/Kovter.C popup alert may incorrectly claim to be deriving from a regulation enforcement establishment and will certainly report having situated youngster porn or various other unlawful information on the gadget. The alert will similarly consist of a requirement for the user to pay the ransom money.
File Info:crc32: C87CD9A5md5: 03ca3b910c9b4a27010734a331ab13bcname: 03CA3B910C9B4A27010734A331AB13BC.mlwsha1: 3a8e0b729e4604ba0555be815f46145760d4826asha256: 265353a0845c4ecc16a72ddc14783cf92dfa0db6347c37d51c86a4f1dcfce5fesha512: a0c2f98fe9b4c35f3b807b69b8b3edd40a3a63357311628be6802ccec2ad267c683e951239a31c45f2e604eb16380d950b294e09a4ddaab134173636fcafa98fssdeep: 6144:DbcKnuspjzzYUr9hXm9OB77fxYcGdEAtlhdxW1mzCl98NZlex:HccFj/99Vm9Ot2FtlCi2gWxtype: PE32 executable (GUI) Intel 80386, for MS Windows
Version Info:LegalCopyright: Copyright (C) 1998-2015 Ritlabs, SRLInternalName: The Bat!FileVersion: 126.96.36.199CompanyName: Ritlabs, SRLProductName: The Bat!AboutDescription: Natural E-Mail System (TM)ProductVersion: 188.8.131.52FileDescription: The Bat! E-Mail Client by Ritlabs, SRLOriginalFilename: The Bat! E-Mail Client by Ritlabs, SRLTranslation: 0x0000 0x04b0
Win32/Kovter.C also known as:
|Elastic||malicious (high confidence)|
|K7AntiVirus||Trojan ( 004c341a1 )|
|K7GW||Trojan ( 004c341a1 )|
|Cynet||Malicious (score: 100)|
|Sophos||Mal/Generic-S + Mal/Kovter-Z|
|SentinelOne||Static AI – Malicious PE|
|MAX||malware (ai score=81)|
How to remove Win32/Kovter.C virus?
Unwanted application has ofter come with other viruses and spyware. This threats can steal account credentials, or crypt your documents for ransom.
Reasons why I would recommend GridinSoft1
There is no better way to recognize, remove and prevent PC threats than to use an anti-malware software from GridinSoft2.
Download GridinSoft Anti-Malware.
You can download GridinSoft Anti-Malware by clicking the button below:
Run the setup file.
When setup file has finished downloading, double-click on the setup-antimalware-fix.exe file to install GridinSoft Anti-Malware on your system.
An User Account Control asking you about to allow GridinSoft Anti-Malware to make changes to your device. So, you should click “Yes” to continue with the installation.
Press “Install” button.
Once installed, Anti-Malware will automatically run.
Wait for the Anti-Malware scan to complete.
GridinSoft Anti-Malware will automatically start scanning your system for Win32/Kovter.C files and other malicious programs. This process can take a 20-30 minutes, so I suggest you periodically check on the status of the scan process.
Click on “Clean Now”.
When the scan has finished, you will see the list of infections that GridinSoft Anti-Malware has detected. To remove them click on the “Clean Now” button in right corner.
Are Your Protected?
GridinSoft Anti-Malware will scan and clean your PC for free in the trial period. The free version offer real-time protection for first 2 days. If you want to be fully protected at all times – I can recommended you to purchase a full version:
If the guide doesn’t help you to remove Win32/Kovter.C you can always ask me in the comments for getting help.
User Review( votes)
- GridinSoft Anti-Malware Review from HowToFix site: https://howtofix.guide/gridinsoft-anti-malware/
- More information about GridinSoft products: https://gridinsoft.com/products/