DarkGate is a versatile and evasive malware toolset known for its anti-detection mechanisms. It’s distributed through spam mail, Torrent sites, search engine poisoning, and malvertising.
DarkGate’s key actions include privilege escalation, remote desktop functionalities, file manipulation, data stealing from browsers and Discord, and keylogging. It poses significant risks, including multiple system infections, data loss, privacy breaches, financial losses, and identity theft. Its limited availability and high price make it a threat primarily used in targeted attacks.
DarkGate Malware Overview
DarkGate is a versatile malware toolset with a history dating back to at least 2018, with a new variant observed in July 2023. Earlier versions commonly spread through spam emails and Torrent sites, mainly targeting European and Spanish-speaking users. The latest iteration of DarkGate has adopted various distribution methods, including malvertising, search engine poisoning, and spam campaigns, highlighting its adaptability and evolving tactics.
|Threat Type||Trojan, password-stealing virus, banking malware, spyware|
|Similar Behavitor||HiatusRAT, Whiffy Recon|
|Damage||Stolen passwords and banking information, identity theft, the victim’s computer added to a botnet.|
|Fix Tool||See If Your System Has Been Affected by DarkGate Virus|
DarkGate is a multifaceted malware toolset known for its adaptability and evasion techniques. It employs various anti-detection and anti-analysis measures, including obfuscation, anti-virtual machine capabilities, and even exclusion from Microsoft Defender Antivirus detection. DarkGate is stealthy, hiding from Windows Task Manager and remaining invisible on startup.
This malware can escalate privileges, manage files, and execute additional malicious components, potentially leading to chain infections. DarkGate specializes in data theft, targeting browsers for browsing history, cookies, and login credentials. It can also extract tokens from Discord and record keystrokes. As malware evolves, future versions of DarkGate may introduce new functionalities. The presence of DarkGate on a device can result in system infections, data breaches, privacy violations, financial losses, and identity theft. You can read more here.
How I Got It?
DarkGate has employed various distribution methods, including spam mail, Torrent sites, search engine poisoning, and malvertising. It has also been promoted on hacker forums, with limited availability and pricing tiers that weed out potential buyers.
One of the recent DarkGate campaigns utilized search engine poisoning to lead users to malicious websites posing as legitimate Windows IT management tools. These websites bundled the genuine software with DarkGate, obfuscating the initial configuration to evade detection.
Remove DarkGate with Gridinsoft Anti-Malware
We have also been using this software on our systems ever since, and it has always been successful in detecting viruses. It has blocked the most common Stealers as shown from our tests with the software, and we assure you that it can remove DarkGate as well as other malware hiding on your computer.
To use Gridinsoft for remove malicious threats, follow the steps below:
1. Begin by downloading Gridinsoft Anti-Malware, accessible via the blue button below or directly from the official website gridinsoft.com.
2.Once the Gridinsoft setup file (setup-gridinsoft-fix.exe) is downloaded, execute it by clicking on the file.
3.Follow the installation setup wizard's instructions diligently.
4. Access the "Scan Tab" on the application's start screen and launch a comprehensive "Full Scan" to examine your entire computer. This inclusive scan encompasses the memory, startup items, the registry, services, drivers, and all files, ensuring that it detects malware hidden in all possible locations.
Be patient, as the scan duration depends on the number of files and your computer's hardware capabilities. Use this time to relax or attend to other tasks.
5. Upon completion, Anti-Malware will present a detailed report containing all the detected malicious items and threats on your PC.
6. Select all the identified items from the report and confidently click the "Clean Now" button. This action will safely remove the malicious files from your computer, transferring them to the secure quarantine zone of the anti-malware program to prevent any further harmful actions.
8. If prompted, restart your computer to finalize the full system scan procedure. This step is crucial to ensure thorough removal of any remaining threats. After the restart, Gridinsoft Anti-Malware will open and display a message confirming the completion of the scan.
Remember Gridinsoft offers a 6-day free trial. This means you can take advantage of the trial period at no cost to experience the full benefits of the software and prevent any future malware infections on your system. Embrace this opportunity to fortify your computer's security without any financial commitment.
Trojan Killer for “DarkGate” removal on locked PC
In situations where it becomes impossible to download antivirus applications directly onto the infected computer due to malware blocking access to websites, an alternative solution is to utilize the Trojan Killer application.
There is a really little number of security tools that are able to be set up on the USB drives, and antiviruses that can do so in most cases require to obtain quite an expensive license. For this instance, I can recommend you to use another solution of GridinSoft - Trojan Killer Portable. It has a 14-days cost-free trial mode that offers the entire features of the paid version. This term will definitely be 100% enough to wipe malware out.
Trojan Killer is a valuable tool in your cybersecurity arsenal, helping you to effectively remove malware from infected computers. Now, we will walk you through the process of using Trojan Killer from a USB flash drive to scan and remove malware on an infected PC. Remember, always obtain permission to scan and remove malware from a computer that you do not own.
Step 1: Download & Install Trojan Killer on a Clean Computer:
1. Go to the official GridinSoft website (gridinsoft.com) and download Trojan Killer to a computer that is not infected.
2. Insert a USB flash drive into this computer.
3. Install Trojan Killer to the "removable drive" following the on-screen instructions.
4. Once the installation is complete, launch Trojan Killer.
Step 2: Update Signature Databases:
5. After launching Trojan Killer, ensure that your computer is connected to the Internet.
6. Click "Update" icon to download the latest signature databases, which will ensure the tool can detect the most recent threats.
Step 3: Scan the Infected PC:
7. Safely eject the USB flash drive from the clean computer.
8. Boot the infected computer to the Safe Mode.
9. Insert the USB flash drive.
10. Run tk.exe
11. Once the program is open, click on "Full Scan" to begin the malware scanning process.
Step 4: Remove Found Threats:
12. After the scan is complete, Trojan Killer will display a list of detected threats.
13. Click on "Cure PC!" to remove the identified malware from the infected PC.
14. Follow any additional on-screen prompts to complete the removal process.
Step 5: Restart Your Computer:
15. Once the threats are removed, click on "Restart PC" to reboot your computer.
16. Remove the USB flash drive from the infected computer.
Congratulations on effectively removing DarkGate and the concealed threats from your computer! You can now have peace of mind, knowing that they won't resurface again. Thanks to Gridinsoft's capabilities and commitment to cybersecurity, your system is now protected.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Reformatting your storage device should only be considered as a last resort for removing DarkGate malware. Prior to taking such drastic action, it is advisable to perform a comprehensive scan using trustworthy antivirus or anti-malware software.
Malware poses a significant risk to the security and privacy of sensitive information, potentially leading to identity theft, financial loss, and unauthorized access to personal accounts. Furthermore, it can disrupt the normal operation of a system, causing performance issues, system crashes, and data corruption.
The purpose of DarkGate is to enable remote access and control of compromised devices. It allows threat actors to perform various malicious activities, such as unauthorized access, data theft, system manipulation, and disabling security measures, potentially causing significant harm to individuals and organizations.
Gridinsoft Anti-Malware has the ability to identify and eliminate most malware infections. Nevertheless, it is crucial to recognize that sophisticated malware can remain hidden deep within the system. Consequently, conducting a complete system scan is imperative to detect and eradicate malware.
How to Remove DarkGate Malware
Description: DarkGate is a versatile and evasive malware toolset known for its anti-detection mechanisms. It's distributed through spam mail, Torrent sites, search engine poisoning, and malvertising. DarkGate's key actions include privilege escalation, remote desktop functionalities, file manipulation, data stealing from browsers and Discord, and keylogging. It poses significant risks, including multiple system infections, data loss, privacy breaches, financial losses, and identity theft. Its limited availability and high price make it a threat primarily used in targeted attacks.
Operating System: Windows
Application Category: Malware
User Review( votes)