Advanced Windows Manager is a program you did not install on your PC. Its appearance is usually accompanied by tons of unwanted advertisements and different alterations to your system. In that post, I will explain to you why that virus appeared on your PC, and how to get rid of it.
Advanced Windows Manager – what is it?
This strange application can correctly be identified as potentially unwanted program and adware. That type of virus shows you a lot of unwanted advertisements, flooding every website you visit with them. People who created that malware make profit on you in this way. Pay-per-view ad showing model has the smallest premium for each user. However, when banners are displayed chaotically, and “watchers” do not have a choice to skip the ad, it is quite easy to raise funds with these promotions.
Advanced Windows Manager is spread as a separate app that “will help you to change the design of Windows Manager”. Windows Manager is a system application which is responsible for organizing the access to connected devices, disk drives and computers in the local network. However, Advanced Windows Manager does not try to mimic that app. It offers questionable functionality, and gives you a huge amount of unwanted advertisements on all websites.
How did I get the Advanced Windows Manager?
This potentially unwanted program is spread in different ways. Sometimes, users on online forums may advise it to you, as a way to customize your system. Of course, those users are paid by the adware developer. Another popular distribution way is software bundling.
Software bundling is a way used by the freeware developers to raise funds. They also want to have lunch, but since their apps are free, they pack their program into a bundle with other apps. Those apps may be legit and safe, and you usually can choose if you want to install these programs or not. However, in cases when free software developers bundle their apps with viruses, you do not have any choice.
Another case when the software is spread in a bundle with viruses is when someone hacks the license checking mechanism of the certain app. In both cases, you need to check precisely the installation windows. You need to find the button named “Advanced installation settings” or “Choose the components”. After clicking it, you will likely see the list of additional programs which are about to be installed, and marks near them. Unmark all “side” programs to avoid the virus injection.
Is adware dangerous?
Harmless viruses do not exist. Any malware is dangerous in its own shape. While ransomware encrypts your files, spyware steals your data, and hacktool gets your credentials, adware shows you various dangerous banners. They may easily contain a malicious link, which will lead to malware installation. Adware creators do not worry about the safety of their victims. They are cybercriminals, and they generally collaborate with the same cyber burglars. It is quite easy to infect your computer with coin miners, spyware and various other dangerous things. And even ad blocking plugins for your web browser will not help you to stop this banner flood. Advertisements from Advanced Windows Manager are displayed overlapping the content of the web page you are currently viewing.
How can I remove the Advanced Windows Manager?
Adware removal always consists of two parts, and Advanced Windows Manager is not an exclusion. First, we need to remove the virus from your system and fix the changes it implemented to your system. Second, you must reset your browser settings. Exactly, the web browser is usually damaged the most by adware.
For virus removal, system recovery and browser reset purposes, I can offer you GridinSoft Anti-Malware. This program is capable of all mentioned operations, and can be tested during the 6-day free trial. In contrast to Microsoft Defender, it consumes very small amounts of hardware resources. It does not launch the scan when you did not ask about it, and can update databases without the system reboots. GridinSoft Anti-Malware is also capable of recovering the majority of web browsers, not only Microsoft Edge and Internet Explorer1.
Removing the viruses with GridinSoft Anti-Malware
- Download and install GridinSoft Anti-Malware. After the installation, you will be offered to perform the Standard Scan. Approve this action.
- Standard scan checks the logical disk where the system files are stored, together with the files of programs you have already installed. The scan lasts up to 6 minutes.
- When the scan is over, you may choose the action for each detected virus. For all files of Contransas.com malware the default option is “Delete”. Press “Apply” to finish the malware removal.
Now, when the computer is clean of viruses, we can proceed to the browser reset. You can do this step manually, as well as with the use of GridinSoft Anti-Malware.
Reset browser settings to default
Manual method of browser reset
To reset Edge, do the following steps :
- Open “Settings and more” tab in upper right corner, then find here “Settings” button. In the appeared menu, choose “Reset settings” option :
- After picking the Reset Settings option, you will see the following menu, stating about the settings which will be reverted to original :
For Mozilla Firefox, do the next actions :
- Open Menu tab (three strips in upper right corner) and click the “Help” button. In the appeared menu choose “troubleshooting information” :
- In the next screen, find the “Refresh Firefox” option :
After choosing this option, you will see the next message :
If you use Google Chrome
- Open Settings tab, find the “Advanced” button. In the extended tab choose the “Reset and clean up” button :
- In the appeared list, click on the “Restore settings to their original defaults” :
- Finally, you will see the window, where you can see all the settings which will be reset to default :
Opera can be reset in the next way
- Open Settings menu by pressing the gear icon in the toolbar (left side of the browser window), then click “Advanced” option, and choose “Browser” button in the drop-down list. Scroll down, to the bottom of the settings menu. Find there “Restore settings to their original defaults” option :
- After clicking the “Restore settings…” button, you will see the window, where all settings, which will be reset, are shown :
Reset your browser settings with GridinSoft Anti-Malware
To reset your browser with GridinSoft Anti-Malware, open the Tools tab, and click the “Reset browser settings” button.
You can see the list of the options for each browser. By default, they are set up in the manner which fits the majority of users. Press the “Reset” button (lower right corner). In a minute your browser will be as good as new.
The browser reset is recommended to perform through the antivirus tool by GridinSoft, because last is also able to reset the HOSTS file without any additional commands.
User Review( votes)
- More information about GridinSoft Anti-Malware in our review on this product.