The Magaskosh virus falls within the ransomware type of malicious agent. Harmful software of such sort encrypts all the data on your computer (images, text files, excel sheets, music, videos, etc) and appends its own extension to every file, showing the ransom note on the locked screen of the computer.
What is known about the Magaskosh virus?
Magaskosh will add its extra .magaskosh extension to every file’s title. For example, an image named “photo.jpg” will be renamed to “photo.jpg.magaskosh”. In the same manner, the Excel table with the name “table.xlsx” will be changed to “table.xlsx.magaskosh”, and so on.
Upon the encryption, malware locks the screen of the computer to display a note. It is a ransom money memo. Therein you can find information on the ways of paying the ransom and some other remarks. The ransom note usually contains instructions on how to purchase the decryption tool from the ransomware developers. You can get this decoding tool after contacting [email protected] via email. That is pretty much the scheme of the malefaction.
|Ransomware note||on the locked screen|
|Detection||Win32/Injector.COFG Virus Removal, Trojan:MSIL/AgentTesla.ABYD!MTB Virus Removal, Win32/GenKryptik.GNIZ Virus Removal|
|Symptoms||Your files (photos, videos, documents) get a .magaskosh extension and you can’t open them.|
|Fix Tool||See If Your System Has Been Affected by Magaskosh virus|
The note on the locked screen generated by the Magaskosh malware states the following:
ALL OF YOUR FILES HAVE BEEN ENCRYPTED BY MAGAKOSH 6 DAYS to DELETE all of your files... If you want to restore them, please send an email to [email protected] You only have LIMITED time to get back your files! - if timer runs out and you dont pay us , all of files will be DELETED and yuor hard disk will be seriously DAMAGED. - you will lose some of your data on day 2 in the timer. - you can buy more time for pay. Just email us . - THIS IS NOT A JOKE! you can wait for the timer to run out ,and watch deletion of your files :) What is our decryption guarantee? Before paying you can send us up to 3 test files for free decryption. The total size of files must be less than 2Mb (non archived), and files should not contain valuable information. (databases,backups, large excel sheets, etc.) How to obtain Bitcoins The easiest way to buy bitcoins is buy.bitcoin.com site.You have to register , click \'Buy bitcoins\', and select the seller by payment method and price. Also you can find other places to Bitcoin and beginners guide here: HXXPS://WWW.BITCOIN.COM/GET-STARTED/HOW-TO-BUY-BITCOIN/
In the picture below, you can see what a folder with files encrypted by the Magaskosh looks like. Each filename has the “.magaskosh” extension appended to it.
How did my machine catch Magaskosh ransomware?
There are plenty of possible ways of ransomware infiltration.
Nowadays, there are three most popular ways for evil-doers to have ransomware settled in your digital environment. These are email spam, Trojan injection and peer file transfer.
- If you access your inbox and see emails that look just like notifications from utility services companies, delivery agencies like FedEx, web-access providers, and whatnot, but whose “from” field is strange to you, be wary of opening those letters. They are very likely to have a harmful file attached to them. So it is even riskier to download any attachments that come with emails like these.
- Another thing the hackers might try is a Trojan virus scheme. A Trojan is an object that gets into your PC disguised as something different. Imagine, you download an installer of some program you need or an update for some software. But what is unpacked reveals itself a harmful program that encrypts your data. As the installation wizard can have any title and any icon, you’d better be sure that you can trust the resource of the stuff you’re downloading. The optimal way is to trust the software companies’ official websites.
- As for the peer-to-peer file transfer protocols like BitTorrent or eMule, the danger is that they are even more trust-based than the rest of the Internet. You can never guess what you download until you get it. Our suggestion is that you use trustworthy websites. Also, it is reasonable to scan the directory containing the downloaded items with the antivirus as soon as the downloading is complete.
How to remove ransomware?
It is important to note that besides encrypting your files, the Magaskosh virus will most likely deploy Vidar Stealer on your machine to get access to credentials to various accounts (including cryptocurrency wallets). That program can derive your logins and passwords from your browser’s auto-filling cardfile.
Remove Magaskosh with Gridinsoft Anti-Malware
We have also been using this software on our systems ever since, and it has always been successful in detecting viruses. It has blocked the most common Ransomware as shown from our tests with the software, and we assure you that it can remove Magaskosh as well as other malware hiding on your computer.
To use Gridinsoft for remove malicious threats, follow the steps below:
1. Begin by downloading Gridinsoft Anti-Malware, accessible via the blue button below or directly from the official website gridinsoft.com.
2.Once the Gridinsoft setup file (setup-gridinsoft-fix.exe) is downloaded, execute it by clicking on the file.
3.Follow the installation setup wizard's instructions diligently.
4. Access the "Scan Tab" on the application's start screen and launch a comprehensive "Full Scan" to examine your entire computer. This inclusive scan encompasses the memory, startup items, the registry, services, drivers, and all files, ensuring that it detects malware hidden in all possible locations.
Be patient, as the scan duration depends on the number of files and your computer's hardware capabilities. Use this time to relax or attend to other tasks.
5. Upon completion, Anti-Malware will present a detailed report containing all the detected malicious items and threats on your PC.
6. Select all the identified items from the report and confidently click the "Clean Now" button. This action will safely remove the malicious files from your computer, transferring them to the secure quarantine zone of the anti-malware program to prevent any further harmful actions.
8. If prompted, restart your computer to finalize the full system scan procedure. This step is crucial to ensure thorough removal of any remaining threats. After the restart, Gridinsoft Anti-Malware will open and display a message confirming the completion of the scan.
Remember Gridinsoft offers a 6-day free trial. This means you can take advantage of the trial period at no cost to experience the full benefits of the software and prevent any future malware infections on your system. Embrace this opportunity to fortify your computer's security without any financial commitment.
Trojan Killer for “Magaskosh” removal on locked PC
In situations where it becomes impossible to download antivirus applications directly onto the infected computer due to malware blocking access to websites, an alternative solution is to utilize the Trojan Killer application.
There is a really little number of security tools that are able to be set up on the USB drives, and antiviruses that can do so in most cases require to obtain quite an expensive license. For this instance, I can recommend you to use another solution of GridinSoft - Trojan Killer Portable. It has a 14-days cost-free trial mode that offers the entire features of the paid version. This term will definitely be 100% enough to wipe malware out.
Trojan Killer is a valuable tool in your cybersecurity arsenal, helping you to effectively remove malware from infected computers. Now, we will walk you through the process of using Trojan Killer from a USB flash drive to scan and remove malware on an infected PC. Remember, always obtain permission to scan and remove malware from a computer that you do not own.
Step 1: Download & Install Trojan Killer on a Clean Computer:
1. Go to the official GridinSoft website (gridinsoft.com) and download Trojan Killer to a computer that is not infected.
2. Insert a USB flash drive into this computer.
3. Install Trojan Killer to the "removable drive" following the on-screen instructions.
4. Once the installation is complete, launch Trojan Killer.
Step 2: Update Signature Databases:
5. After launching Trojan Killer, ensure that your computer is connected to the Internet.
6. Click "Update" icon to download the latest signature databases, which will ensure the tool can detect the most recent threats.
Step 3: Scan the Infected PC:
7. Safely eject the USB flash drive from the clean computer.
8. Boot the infected computer to the Safe Mode.
9. Insert the USB flash drive.
10. Run tk.exe
11. Once the program is open, click on "Full Scan" to begin the malware scanning process.
Step 4: Remove Found Threats:
12. After the scan is complete, Trojan Killer will display a list of detected threats.
13. Click on "Cure PC!" to remove the identified malware from the infected PC.
14. Follow any additional on-screen prompts to complete the removal process.
Step 5: Restart Your Computer:
15. Once the threats are removed, click on "Restart PC" to reboot your computer.
16. Remove the USB flash drive from the infected computer.
Congratulations on effectively removing Magaskosh and the concealed threats from your computer! You can now have peace of mind, knowing that they won't resurface again. Thanks to Gridinsoft's capabilities and commitment to cybersecurity, your system is now protected.
Often racketeers would decode several of your files so you know that they indeed have the decryption program. As Magaskosh virus is a relatively new ransomware, security software designers have not yet found a method to undo its work. However, the decryption tools are frequently updated, so the effective countermeasure may soon arrive.
Sure thing, if the criminals succeed in encoding someone’s critical files, the hopeless person will probably fulfill their demands. Despite that, paying to racketeers does not necessarily mean that you’re getting your data back. It is still dangerous. After obtaining the money, the racketeers may deliver a wrong decryption code to the injured party. There were reports of malefactors simply disappearing after getting the money without even writing back.
The optimal solution against ransomware is to have a system restore point or the copies of your critical files in the cloud storage or at least on an external drive. Surely, that might be not enough. Your most important thing could be that one you were working upon when it all started. Nevertheless, it is something. It is also wise to scan your drives with the antivirus program after the system is rolled back.
There are other ransomware products, besides Magaskosh, that work similarly. Examples of those are Nworansom, Rzew, Rival, and some others. The two major differences between them and the Magaskosh are the ransom amount and the encoding method. The rest is the same: files become blocked, their extensions altered, ransom notes are found in every folder containing encoded files.
Some lucky users were able to decode the arrested files with the aid of the free software provided by anti-malware experts. Sometimes the hackers mistakenly send the decoding key to the victims in the ransom note. Such an extraordinary fail allows the victim to restore the files. But of course, one should never rely on such a chance. Make no mistake, ransomware is a bandits’ tool to lay their hands on the money of their victims.
How do I avert ransomware infiltration?
Magaskosh ransomware has no endless power, so as any similar malware.
You can defend your PC from its injection taking three easy steps:
- Never open any letters from unknown mailboxes with strange addresses, or with content that has likely no connection to something you are expecting (can you win in a lottery without even taking part in it?). If the email subject is more or less something you are waiting for, scrutinize all elements of the questionable letter carefully. A hoax email will always contain mistakes.
- Do not use cracked or unknown software. Trojans are often distributed as an element of cracked software, most likely as a “patch” which prevents the license check. Understandably, untrusted programs are difficult to distinguish from reliable software, as trojans may also have the functionality you seek. You can try searching for information on this software product on the anti-malware forums, but the optimal way is not to use such programs at all.
- And to be sure about the safety of the objects you downloaded, check them with GridinSoft Anti-Malware. This program will be a perfect shield for your system.
🤔 How can I open “.magaskosh” files?Is it possible to open“.magaskosh” files?
There’s no way to do it, unless the files “.magaskosh” files are decrypted.
🤔 What should I do to make my files accessible as fast as possible?
Hopefully, you have made a copy of those important files. In case you haven’t, there is still a chance that you do have a Restore Point from some time ago to roll back the whole system to the moment when it had no virus yet, but already had your files. There are other ways to beat ransomware, but they take time.
🤔 If GridinSoft deletes the Magaskosh malware, will it also delete my files that were encrypted?
No way! Your encrypted files are no threat to your PC.
GridinSoft Anti-Malware only deals with real viruses. The virus that has infiltrated your system is must be still functional and launching checks every so often to arrest any new files you might create on your PC after the initial attack. As it has been said above, the Magaskosh ransomware comes with the company. It installs backdoors and keyloggers that can take your account passwords by trespass and provide criminals with easy access to your PC in the future.
🤔 What should I do if the Magaskosh malware has blocked my PC and I can’t get the activation key.
If that happened, you need to have a memory stick with a previously installed Trojan Killer. Use Safe Mode to do the cleaning. You see, the ransomware starts automatically as the system boots and encodes any new files created or imported into your machine. To stop this function – use Safe Mode, which allows only the essential programs to run automatically. Consider reading our manual on booting Windows in Safe Mode.
🤔 And what should I do now?
Some of the blocked files can be found elsewhere.
- If you exchanged your important files by email, you could still download them from your online mail server.
- You may have shared images or videos with your friends or relatives. Simply ask them to send those images back to you.
- If you have initially downloaded any of your files from the Web, you can try doing it again.
- Your messengers, social networks pages, and cloud drives might have all those files as well.
- Maybe you still have the needed files on your old computer, a notebook, cellphone, external storage, etc.
HINT: You can use file recovery utilities1 to get your lost data back since ransomware encrypts the copies of your files, removing the authentic ones. In the tutorial below, you can learn how to use PhotoRec for such a restoration, but be advised: you won’t be able to do it before you eradicate the ransomware itself with an anti-malware program.
I need your help to share this article.
It is your turn to help other people. I have written this guide to help users like you. You can use the buttons below to share this on your favorite social media Facebook, Twitter, or Reddit.Brendan Smith
How to Remove MAGASKOSH Ransomware & Recover PC
Name: MAGASKOSH Virus
Description: MAGASKOSH Virus is a ransomware-type infections. This virus encrypts important personal files (video, photos, documents). The encrypted files can be tracked by a specific .magaskosh extension. So, you can't use them at all.
Operating System: Windows
Application Category: Virus
User Review( votes)
- Here’s the list of Best Data Recovery Software Of 2023.