Hakbit stands for yet another Ransomware that has been actively attacking many PCs to target several groups of users. It attacks home computers primarily, even though the business ones are not an exception either. Even though the majority of its victims are the residents of the United States of America and Europe, it can hit the devices anywhere in the world as long as the user is not cautious enough. What is special regarding Hakbit is that it shows its requirement by amending the user’s desktop wallpaper. It also displays a QR code. The code once scanned, displays the attackers’ Bitcoin wallet addresses. In case the Hakbit attacks you, and your data is locked, Emsisoft has published a cost-free Decryptor for Hakbit.
Hakbit Ransomware Decryptor
The Hakbit Decryptor Tool is absolutely cost-free, and you can download it via the official webpage. Based on the information from Emsisoft, Hakbit applies AES-256 encryption algorithm and modifies the documents by means of adding the extension “.crypted”. It also tries to amend its name to a legitimate system file, for instance, lsass.exe, svchst.exe, crcss.exe, chrome32.exe, firefox.exe, calc.exe. In case the user opens any of these documents, it will begin locking down the data and then modify the wallpaper to show the notification demanding for the ransom to be paid in favor of the frauds.
The decryption utility can assist you in recovering all your locked data. The developers have elaborated a detailed user tutorial if you believe it quite complicated to follow.
How to decrypt files crypted by Hakbit?
Keep in mind that this procedure implies the implementation of two phases. The first phase locates the key, whereas the second phase lies in applying the key to decrypting the documents.
1. Locate Hakbit Decryption key
- Download Hakbit Decryptor tool and start it with the rights of an administrator. You will need to comply with the license terms to apply this utility.
- The first milestone is to find the ransom statement. The document is titled HELP_ME_RECOVER_MY_FILES.txt. The document can be found in your primary (system) partition.
- Once you launch the program, select the Start button so the program can find out the decryption key.
- As soon as the key is located, it will show the alert proving this fact. If you would like to, take note of the key and store it in a safe place.
2. Restore files modified by Hakbit
- Furthermore, you must choose the file or specify a location which has been modified, and a location to save the document once it has been successfully restored.
- Select the start button to start the restoration procedure.
- The decryptor will show the reconstructed encryption information as soon as the recovery procedure has been successfully accomplished.
Available Hakbit decryptor options
The decryptor currently implements “Keep encrypted files” options:
Since the ransomware does not save any information about the unencrypted files, the Hakbit decryptor can not guarantee that the decrypted files is identical to the one that was previously encrypted. Therefore, the Hakbit decryptor by default will opt on the side of caution and not remove any encrypted files after they have been decrypted.
If you want the Hakbit decryptor to remove any encrypted files after they have been processed, you can disable this option. Doing so may be necessary if your disk space is limited.
I would suggest you copy the documents into an external drive instead of storing it on the same device. Ransomware is the main reason why you should enable Tamper Protection in place to everyone in Windows 10 through Microsoft Security. Microsoft also suggests OneDrive Personal Vault to assist you in defending the data on the cloud.
User Review( votes)