The Deepindeep virus falls under the Phobos ransomware family. Ransomware of such sort encrypts all the data on your PC (photos, documents, excel tables, music, videos, etc) and adds its extra extension to every file, leaving the info.txt files in each directory containing encrypted files.
What is known about the Deepindeep virus?
☝️ Deepindeep is a Phobos family ransomware virus.
The renaming will be executed according to this pattern: id[xxxxxx].[contact-email].deepindeep. As a part of encryption, a file entitled, for instance, “report.docx” will be turned into “report.docx.id[9ECFA84E-3511].[[email protected]].deepindeep”.
In each folder with the encoded files, a info.txt text document will appear. It is a ransom money note. It contains information about the ways of contacting the racketeers and some other remarks. The ransom note most probably contains a description of how to purchase the decryption tool from the tamperers. You can get this decrypting software after contacting [email protected] by email. That is it.
|Ransomware family1||Phobos ransomware|
|Detection||Trojan:Win32/Fotomoto.A Virus Removal, TrojanClicker:Win32/Zeriest.B Virus Removal, Trojan:MSIL/AgentTesla.KAAO!MTB Virus Removal|
|Symptoms||Your files (photos, videos, documents) have a .deepindeep extension and you can’t open them.|
|Fix Tool||See If Your System Has Been Affected by Deepindeep virus|
The info.txt file accompanying the Deepindeep ransomware provides the following frustrating information:
!!! ATTENTION !!! Your network is hacked and files are encrypted. Including the encrypted data we also downloaded other confidential information: Data of your employees, customers, partners, as well as accounting and other internal documentation of your company. All data is stored until you will pay. After payment we will provide you the programs for decryption and we will delete your data We dont want did something bad to your company, it is just bussines (Our reputation is our money!) If you refuse to negotiate with us (for any reason) all your data will be put up for sale. What you will face if your data gets on the black market: 1) The personal information of your employees and customers may be used to obtain a loan or purchases in online stores. 2) You may be sued by clients of your company for leaking information that was confidential. 3) After other hackers obtain personal data about your employees, social engineering will be applied to your company and subsequent attacks will only intensify. 4) Bank details and passports can be used to create bank accounts and online wallets through which criminal money will be laundered. 5) You will forever lose the reputation. 6) You will be subject to huge fines from the government. You can learn more about liability for data loss here: hxxps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Data_Protection_Regulation hxxps://gdpr-info.eu/ Courts, fines and the inability to use important files will lead you to huge losses. The consequences of this will be irreversible for you. Contacting the police will not save you from these consequences, and lost data, will only make your situation worse. You can get out of this situation with minimal losses (Our reputation is our money!) !!! To do this you must strictly observe the following rules: DO NOT Modify, DO NOT rename, DO NOT copy, DO NOT move any files. Such actions may DAMAGE them and decryption will be impossible. DO NOT use any third party or public decryption software, it may also DAMAGE files. DO NOT Shutdown or Reboot the system this may DAMAGE files. DO NOT hire any third party negotiators (recovery/police, etc.) You need to contact us as soon as possible and start negotiations. You can send us 1-2 small data not value files for test , we will decrypt it and send it to you back. After payment we need no more that 2 hours to decrypt all of your data. We will be support you untill fully decryption going to be done! ! ! (Our reputation is our money!) Instructions for contacting our team: Download the (Session) messenger (hxxps://getsession.org) in messenger :[email protected] Write this ID in the title of your message - IF YOU WILL CONTACT US IN FIRST 6 hours , and we close our deal in 24 hours , PRICE WILL BE ONLY 30%. (time is money for both of us , if you will take care about our time , we will do same , we will care of price and decryption process will be done VERY FAST) ALL DOWNLOADED DATA WILL BE DELETED after payment.
In the image below, you can see what a directory with files encrypted by the Deepindeep looks like. Each filename has the “.deepindeep” extension added to it.
How did my computer get infected with Deepindeep ransomware?
There are many possible ways of ransomware infiltration.
Nowadays, there are three most popular ways for evil-doers to have the Deepindeep virus settled in your system. These are email spam, Trojan injection and peer-to-peer networks.
- If you access your inbox and see emails that look just like notifications from utility services companies, delivery agencies like FedEx, web-access providers, and whatnot, but whose “from” field is strange to you, beware of opening those letters. They are most likely to have a harmful file enclosed in them. Thus it is even more dangerous to download any attachments that come with emails like these.
- Another option for ransom hunters is a Trojan virus model. A Trojan is an object that infiltrates into your machine disguised as something legal. For example, you download an installer for some program you want or an update for some service. But what is unboxed turns out to be a harmful program that encrypts your data. As the update file can have any name and any icon, you have to make sure that you can trust the source of the things you’re downloading. The best way is to trust the software companies’ official websites.
- As for the peer-to-peer networks like torrents or eMule, the danger is that they are even more trust-based than the rest of the Internet. You can never know what you download until you get it. Our suggestion is that you use trustworthy websites. Also, it is reasonable to scan the folder containing the downloaded items with the antivirus as soon as the downloading is finished.
How to remove ransomware?
It is crucial to inform you that besides encrypting your files, the Deepindeep virus will most likely install Vidar Stealer on your machine to seize your credentials to different accounts (including cryptocurrency wallets). The mentioned program can derive your credentials from your browser’s auto-filling data.
Remove Deepindeep with Gridinsoft Anti-Malware
We have also been using this software on our systems ever since, and it has always been successful in detecting viruses. It has blocked the most common Ransomware as shown from our tests with the software, and we assure you that it can remove Deepindeep as well as other malware hiding on your computer.
To use Gridinsoft for remove malicious threats, follow the steps below:
1. Begin by downloading Gridinsoft Anti-Malware, accessible via the blue button below or directly from the official website gridinsoft.com.
2.Once the Gridinsoft setup file (setup-gridinsoft-fix.exe) is downloaded, execute it by clicking on the file.
3.Follow the installation setup wizard's instructions diligently.
4. Access the "Scan Tab" on the application's start screen and launch a comprehensive "Full Scan" to examine your entire computer. This inclusive scan encompasses the memory, startup items, the registry, services, drivers, and all files, ensuring that it detects malware hidden in all possible locations.
Be patient, as the scan duration depends on the number of files and your computer's hardware capabilities. Use this time to relax or attend to other tasks.
5. Upon completion, Anti-Malware will present a detailed report containing all the detected malicious items and threats on your PC.
6. Select all the identified items from the report and confidently click the "Clean Now" button. This action will safely remove the malicious files from your computer, transferring them to the secure quarantine zone of the anti-malware program to prevent any further harmful actions.
8. If prompted, restart your computer to finalize the full system scan procedure. This step is crucial to ensure thorough removal of any remaining threats. After the restart, Gridinsoft Anti-Malware will open and display a message confirming the completion of the scan.
Remember Gridinsoft offers a 6-day free trial. This means you can take advantage of the trial period at no cost to experience the full benefits of the software and prevent any future malware infections on your system. Embrace this opportunity to fortify your computer's security without any financial commitment.
Trojan Killer for “Deepindeep” removal on locked PC
In situations where it becomes impossible to download antivirus applications directly onto the infected computer due to malware blocking access to websites, an alternative solution is to utilize the Trojan Killer application.
There is a really little number of security tools that are able to be set up on the USB drives, and antiviruses that can do so in most cases require to obtain quite an expensive license. For this instance, I can recommend you to use another solution of GridinSoft - Trojan Killer Portable. It has a 14-days cost-free trial mode that offers the entire features of the paid version. This term will definitely be 100% enough to wipe malware out.
Trojan Killer is a valuable tool in your cybersecurity arsenal, helping you to effectively remove malware from infected computers. Now, we will walk you through the process of using Trojan Killer from a USB flash drive to scan and remove malware on an infected PC. Remember, always obtain permission to scan and remove malware from a computer that you do not own.
Step 1: Download & Install Trojan Killer on a Clean Computer:
1. Go to the official GridinSoft website (gridinsoft.com) and download Trojan Killer to a computer that is not infected.
2. Insert a USB flash drive into this computer.
3. Install Trojan Killer to the "removable drive" following the on-screen instructions.
4. Once the installation is complete, launch Trojan Killer.
Step 2: Update Signature Databases:
5. After launching Trojan Killer, ensure that your computer is connected to the Internet.
6. Click "Update" icon to download the latest signature databases, which will ensure the tool can detect the most recent threats.
Step 3: Scan the Infected PC:
7. Safely eject the USB flash drive from the clean computer.
8. Boot the infected computer to the Safe Mode.
9. Insert the USB flash drive.
10. Run tk.exe
11. Once the program is open, click on "Full Scan" to begin the malware scanning process.
Step 4: Remove Found Threats:
12. After the scan is complete, Trojan Killer will display a list of detected threats.
13. Click on "Cure PC!" to remove the identified malware from the infected PC.
14. Follow any additional on-screen prompts to complete the removal process.
Step 5: Restart Your Computer:
15. Once the threats are removed, click on "Restart PC" to reboot your computer.
16. Remove the USB flash drive from the infected computer.
Congratulations on effectively removing Deepindeep and the concealed threats from your computer! You can now have peace of mind, knowing that they won't resurface again. Thanks to Gridinsoft's capabilities and commitment to cybersecurity, your system is now protected.
Sometimes tamperers would unblock some of your files to prove that they indeed have the decryption program. As Deepindeep virus is a relatively recent ransomware, safety measures developers have not yet found a method to reverse its work. However, the decryption instruments are frequently updated, so the effective countermeasure may soon arrive.
Understandably, if the malefactors do the job of encoding someone’s essential data, the hopeless person will most likely comply with their demands. Despite that, paying a ransom does not necessarily mean that you’re getting your data back. It is still dangerous. After obtaining the money, the racketeers may send a wrong decryption key to the victim. There were reports of ransomware developers simply vanishing after getting the money without even bothering to reply.
The best safety measure against ransomware is to have aan OS restore point or the copies of your critical files in the cloud drive or at least on an external storage. Of course, that might be insufficient. The most crucial thing could be that file you were working upon when it all started. But at least it is something. It is also reasonable to scan your PC for viruses with the antivirus program after the OS restoration.
Deepindeep is not the only ransomware of its kind, since there are other specimens of ransomware out there that act in the same manner. For instance, 34678, Yzqe, Yzoo, and some others. The two main differences between them and the Deepindeep are the ransom amount and the method of encryption. The rest is almost identical: documents become encoded, their extensions changed, ransom notes emerge in every directory containing encrypted files.
Some fortunate people were able to decrypt the arrested files with the aid of the free tools provided by anti-ransomware specialists. Sometimes the criminals mistakenly send the decoding key to the victims in the ransom note. Such an extraordinary fail allows the user to restore the files. But naturally, one should never expect such a chance. Make no mistake, ransomware is a bandits’ instrument to pull the money out of their victims.
How do I avoid ransomware infiltration?
Deepindeep ransomware doesn’t have a endless power, so as any similar malware.
You can armour yourself from its injection within three easy steps:
- Never open any emails from unknown mailboxes with unknown addresses, or with content that has likely no connection to something you are expecting (how can you win in a lottery without participating in it?). If the email subject is likely something you are waiting for, scrutinize all elements of the suspicious letter with caution. A fake email will always contain a mistake.
- Never use cracked or untrusted software. Trojan viruses are often distributed as an element of cracked products, most likely under the guise of “patch” which prevents the license check. But untrusted programs are very hard to distinguish from trustworthy software, as trojans may also have the functionality you need. Try searching for information on this program on the anti-malware message boards, but the best way is not to use such software.
- And to be sure about the safety of the objects you downloaded, check them with GridinSoft Anti-Malware. This software will be a powerful defense for your system.
🤔 Are the “.deepindeep” files accessible?
Unfortunately, no. You need to decipher the “.deepindeep” files first. Then you will be able to open them.
🤔 I really need to decrypt those “.deepindeep” files ASAP. How can I do that?
If the “.deepindeep” files contain some really important information, then you probably have them backed up. In case you haven’t, there is still a chance that you do have a Restore Point from some time ago to roll back the whole system to the moment when it had no virus yet, but already had your files. All other solutions require time.
🤔 You have advised using GridinSoft Anti-Malware to get rid of the Deepindeep virus. Does it mean that all my files, currently encrypted, will be removed too?
Absolutely not! Your encrypted files are no threat to your PC.
GridinSoft Anti-Malware will remove the threats from your system. The malware that has infiltrated your device is must be still functional and launching checks from time to time to encode any new files you might create on your computer after the initial attack. As it has already been said, the Deepindeep malware does not come alone. It installs backdoors and keyloggers that can take your account passwords by trespass and provide hackers with easy access to your computer after some time.
🤔 What should I do if the Deepindeep malware has blocked my computer and I can’t get the activation code.
In such a case, you need to prepare a flash memory card with a previously installed Trojan Killer. Use Safe Mode to perform the cleaning. The point is that the ransomware runs automatically as the system launches and encrypts any new files created or brought into your PC. To suppress this process – use Safe Mode, which allows only the essential programs to run automatically. Consider reading our manual on booting Windows in Safe Mode.
🤔 What can I do right now?
Many of the encrypted files might still be at your disposal
- If you sent or received your critical files through email, you could still download them from your online mailbox.
- You may have shared images or videos with your friends or family members. Simply ask them to send those pictures back to you.
- If you have initially downloaded any of your files from the Web, you can try downloading them again.
- Your messengers, social media pages, and cloud disks might have all those files too.
- It might be that you still have the needed files on your old PC, a laptop, mobile, memory stick, etc.
HINT: You can employ file recovery utilities2 to retrieve your lost information since ransomware encodes the copies of your files, deleting the original ones. In the video below, you can learn how to use PhotoRec for such a recovery, but be advised: you won’t be able to do it before you remove the ransomware itself with an antivirus program.
I need your help to share this article.
It is your turn to help other people. I have written this guide to help users like you. You can use the buttons below to share this on your favorite social media Facebook, Twitter, or Reddit.Brendan Smith
How to Remove DEEPINDEEP Ransomware & Recover PC
Name: DEEPINDEEP Virus
Description: DEEPINDEEP Virus is a ransomware-type infections. This virus encrypts important personal files (video, photos, documents). The encrypted files can be tracked by a specific .deepindeep extension. So, you can't use them at all.
Operating System: Windows
Application Category: Virus
User Review( votes)